The exciting adventures of the Hillson family.

The exciting adventures of the Hillson family.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"How did Bethany get out of your belly?"

Another amazing fun car ride to school with Brayden. I never realized how great it would be to have to drive him to school each morning. I love that we get that extra half hour of one on one time. It really gives him a chance to get some much needed attention that he doesn't always get being the oldest. This morning he asked me a very unexpected but important question. "How did Bethany get out of your belly?"

Four years ago, when I was pregnant with Madison, Brayden was three, very smart, and very curious. Brayden and I would watch "A Baby Story," and I when the mom was pushing I would say, "That's what I am going to do to get you your baby sister." He would be very excited and ask if it was September yet, knowing that when September came, so would the baby. This was enough information to fulfill his curiosity at the time. This is no longer the case.

I looked up in my rearview mirror and saw a little curious boy with a grin and big blue eyes staring at me, waiting for me to answer. I simply said, "I pushed and she came out," hoping that we could continue the conversation at a time where I wasn't in the car fighting morning traffic. When he looked at me and said, "So you just say "uhhh" and she's out? But how? And why does it hurt?"  I knew I was going to have to go a bit deeper into this topic.

I didn't want to lie or baby it down for him because he is a smart boy, but I also didn't want to go too deep since he's only 6. I thought for a second and explained; God gave Mommies a special place for babies to come out, and that it was called the "birth canal." When babies get too big for their mom's belly, the mom has to push and push and then the baby comes out the birth canal. I then explained that it hurts because Adam and Eve made a poor choice and ate the apple in the garden, and God said as a consequence when you have babies it will hurt.

Brayden was very pleased with this answer and kept giggling. He was sitting in the back of the van pretending to give birth. He said, " I want to do that someday."  I reminded him that only mommies have the special place so only they can have babies. He replied with, "I think you should have another baby. We only have three. I want like ten." Oh, his sense of humor...

When we first moved, I was really bummed that I would have to take Brayden to school every day. He used to get dropped off at the end of the driveway, which was very convenient. I feel like it is such a blessing now having the opportunity to get that quality time in that I didn't even realize I was missing. As I was packing to move, I was so frustrated. I felt like nothing was going right. I was praying and praying for a house that we loved and would be happy in, but everything kept falling through. We were having to stay with our friends and keep stuff in storage. I kept asking myself what I was doing wrong, and I now know. I wasn't trusting God. I should have known He had an awesome plan for us. Not only did we get the house we loved and had been praying for, we get to live in it with our best friends.

~Kasey

No comments:

Post a Comment